Sustainability Vision Statement
Stewardship is one of the core values of Adventist Health in Portland. From Adventist Medical Center to our Home Care Services and the clinics of Adventist Health Medical Group, sustainability management is one of the tools we use to ensure we are serving our community through responsible resource management.
Sustainability requires a thoughtful balance of the clinical, operational and financial impact of our actions and decisions. It also supports our mission because it honors God's creation by reducing, reusing and recycling our material resources to minimize harmful impacts on our community and maximize the efficient use of our resources.
This area of management also helps ensure Adventist Health continues to carry out its mission and provide a healthy and safe environment that protects our patients, medical staff, employees and volunteers in helping build a healthy community today and for future generations.
Adventist Health is committed to:
- Manage, minimize, re-purpose and eliminate waste throughout Adventist Health whenever possible
- Recycle materials where possible and encourage others to do the same
- Being accountable for our contaminated waste and dispose of it in a safe and responsible manner
- Seek, evaluate and implement methodologies that limit the use of nonrenewable resources
- Use pollution-prevention initiatives to reduce the emission of toxic or dangerous substances into the air, water or earth
- Encourage our employees' use of alternative transportation
- Seek products that meet our needs at a reasonable cost and contain recycled materials that can be recycled, reused or composted
- Pursue energy efficiency and conservation of water resources
- Provide employee education about safety and environmental stewardship
- Actively encourage our community and business partners to embrace these values and practices
Sustainability management is a team effort. Making these principles a reality takes the full participation of our medical staff, employees and volunteers.