Focus on Healing program
At Adventist Health Ukiah Valley, we help cancer patients get the treatments that cater to their preferences. At our Cancer Treatment and Infusion Center, our Focus on Healing program benefits cancer patients and their families by reaching beyond medical treatment to incorporate elements that foster physical, mental and spiritual well-being. The program is offered to the community, even if treatments are being received elsewhere.
Some benefits of the program include:
- Aromatherapy: Essential oils skillfully offered by our massage staff can enhance your individual healing process.
- Art therapy: Whether you are newly diagnosed with cancer, in the midst of medical treatment or dealing with recurrence, art therapy helps to let go of worries and allows you to artistically share your journey. You do not need to be an artist to participate.
- Massage therapy: Therapeutic massage is offered to patients, their family members and caregivers to relieve stress, reduce pain and anxiety, and encourage overall relaxation.
- Movement therapy: This aids in the expression of emotional, cognitive, physical and social aspects of having cancer and allows participants an opportunity to express themselves in a unique way. Any kind of movement is helpful with healing as it enhances the immune system.
- Music therapy: Music therapy offers many different ways identify and express thoughts and feelings, distract from pain, increase self-esteem and to enhance the healing process.
- Nutrition counseling: A registered dietitian will meet with you and discuss your personal nutritional needs and guide you with specific dietary recommendations.
- Skin and hair education. We offer education on the effects chemotherapy has on your skin and hair, including hair loss and its causes.
- Spiritual connection: For spiritual support, our board-certified chaplain is available as needed for an open-hearted conversation about hope, gratitude, fear, connection and meaning.
- Water therapy: Water therapy will be offered through the Redwood Health Club. Water therapy consists of a variety of exercises that are done in the pool. This gentle environment is ideal for relieving joint pain, building muscle and reducing depression.