The story of Lodi Memorial is one of vision, growth and community. In the waning days of World War II, Lodi Farmers, teachers, bankers and housewives in Lodi wanted to honor those who were lost in the war. With great enthusiasm, they formed the Lodi Memorial Hospital Association with the goal of building a hospital in honor of those who lost their lives at war.
Association members began knocking on their neighbors’ doors to raise money. From 1945 to 1950, they collected $800,000. Construction on the worksite began in 1948, and the doors of the brand-new Lodi Memorial Hospital opened on March 30, 1952. At least 8,000 visitors attended the ribbon cutting that year.
This early determination of community members illustrates the can-do spirit of this hospital that still exists today. But as Lodi grew, so did the need for more hospital beds and technology. By the late ’60s, the hospital was so consistently overcrowded that people were being cared for on hospital gurneys in hallways. Construction on a west tower was inevitable and began in the late 1960s. And then several decades later, in 2010, a south tower was erected.
In 2015, Lodi Memorial – which became Lodi Health in 2013 to better reflect its system that included a hospital and several medical practices – affiliated with Adventist Health, a partnership that strengthened the future of the hospital and quality of healthcare in the community.
Now, Lodi Memorial treats about 19,000 each year, whether they are mothers delivering babies, surgery patients, those getting imaging procedures, urgent care patients, those visiting the lab or seeking physical therapy treatments.
The history of Lodi Health is preserved on video and in the following collection of "Through the Years" brochures listed below. Adobe Reader required.