The human digestive system consists of the gastrointestinal tract plus the accessory organs of digestion (the tongue, salivary glands, pancreas, liver, and gallbladder). Sound complicated? All you need to know is that when you have pain, or the process isn’t working normally that we can help.
Whether you experience a touch of indigestion, constant stomach pain, or trouble swallowing, you deserve the best possible care.
If you have been struggling with stomach pain, you may have had frustrating trips to the doctor’s office when they were unable to figure out what was wrong. At Adventist Health Castle, our knowledgeable gastroenterology team will take time to complete a full assessment, from hearing your description of symptoms to ordering tests necessary to diagnose your condition and creating an individualized plan of action to address your stomach pain once and for all.
Diagnosing your digestive concern
Our gastroenterologists use state-of-the-art diagnostic, imaging and laboratory equipment to evaluate and treat the following digestive disorders:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBS)
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Crohn’s disease
- Colorectal cancer
- Esophageal disorders and cancers
- Stomach disorders and cancers
- Celiac disease
- Barrett’s esophagus
- Benign colon disease
- Ulcerative colitis
Some possible causes of gastrointestinal disorders include:
- Low-fiber diets
- Lack of exercise
- Resisting the urge to have a bowel movement
- Too much caffeine
- Overusing laxatives
- Stress and anxiety
Stress is actually a very common source of stomach pain. If a gastroenterologist cannot find a physical reason for your problem, they may recommend you explore behavioral health support or stress management programs.
Treatment for digestive disorders
To determine what is causing your symptoms, our specialists can perform a wide variety of diagnostic tests, working quickly to best determine the cause of your stomach problems and create a more definitive treatment plan, including:
- Colonoscopies: To check for colon cancer
At Adventist Health Castle, we know that your time is valuable and that’s why they offer a direct access colonoscopy (DAC) questionnaire that can be taken to easily get scheduled for the screening you need without a pre-screening appointment. Download the DAC form and follow the instructions to see if you may be a candidate for the expedited process.
- Capsule endoscopies: To examine your small intestine
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD): Helps visualize the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract down to the duodenum.
Once your condition has been identified, our team can develop a comprehensive care plan tailored to meet your needs, which may include:
- Dietary and lifestyle changes: Getting more exercise, avoiding certain foods and changing your lifestyle in other ways can make a big difference in your symptoms and condition. Our gastroenterologists can review these with you and help you implement healthy changes.
- Endoscopic treatment: These forms of treatment can help with many different digestive disorders. Using advanced tools and technology, we can perform the appropriate procedure required to treat your condition.
- Surgery: Sometimes, surgery is the best way to treat particularly severe digestive disorders. Our gastrointestinal surgeons ensure a safe and effective procedure from start to finish.
Digestive Health Specialty Team Locations
Adventist Health Castle-Specialty Care
46-001 Kamehameha Hwy., Suite 102, Kāne’ohe
Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Medical Plaza and Wellness Center
642 ‘Ulukahiki St., Suite 103, Kailua
If you have questions, please contact us at (808) 263-5009.