Newly Diagnosed with Diabetes
Tips for managing diabetes
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, you may feel worried, anxious or scared. It's important to remember you are not alone.
Here are a few tips to start you on the road to managing diabetes:
- Tip 1: Lose weight if you need to. Most people with Type 2 diabetes find that, as they drop extra pounds, their blood sugar improves.
- Tip 2: Get moving. Exercise can help lower blood sugars.
- Tip 3: Get educated. There are countless professionals who can work with you to help you get started with a healthier lifestyle. Enroll in a class or make an appointment to meet with a certified diabetes educator.
- Tip 4: Learn to test your blood sugar with a home blood glucose monitor. Ask your doctor about the best way to obtain one of your own.
- Tip 5: Relax and decrease your stress. Extra stress can increase your blood sugar levels. Set time aside for yourself. Go for a walk or talk to a friend. Diabetes management is a step-by-step process.