Stroke Warning Signs
Know the signs & symptoms of stroke
When someone has a stroke, blood stops flowing to part of the brain. This can damage areas in the brain that control the rest of the body. It is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible if you suddenly experience any of the symptoms below, even if they don't last.
Prompt treatment for a stroke is vital. The longer you wait, the more damage a stroke can do.
Be aware of the symptoms of a stroke, which include:
- Weakness: You may feel varying degrees of weakness, a loss of feeling or tingling on one side of your body or face
- Vision problems: You may experience sudden double vision or have trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Speech problems: Your speech may become slurred; you could have trouble talking or problems understanding others
- Headache: You may have a sudden, severe headache
- Movement problems: You may experience a feeling of spinning, a loss of balance, dizziness, a feeling of falling or blackouts
If you experience any of these symptoms, call 911 and your doctor as soon as possible.