Cardiac Rehabilitation in Bakersfield
Helping your heart heal
Adventist Health Bakersfield is the first and only American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) accredited cardiac rehab program in Kern County.
Cardiac rehabilitation is an exercise and education program designed to improve your quality of life after you've had a heart attack, heart surgery or other heart problems. Cardiac rehabilitation at the Wellness Center is here to help you get back on your feet after heart trauma.
In years past, cardiac rehabilitation was often suggested only for people who were younger and needed help getting in shape to return to work after a heart attack or surgery. It was thought too risky or of too little benefit for anyone else. Today though, with improved programs and close medical monitoring, cardiac rehabilitation is an option for people of all ages and with many forms of heart disease.
Phases of cardiac rehabilitation
Cardiac rehabilitation is often divided into phases that involve various levels of monitored exercise, nutritional counseling, emotional support and education about lifestyle changes to reduce your risks of further heart problems. Cardiac rehabilitation programs significantly increase your chances of survival and are recommended by the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology.
Cardiac rehabilitation at Adventist Health Bakersfield includes:
- A 12-week teaching and exercise course during which you will learn lifestyle changes to reduce or slow progression of cardiac-related disease
- Use of the rehabilitation exercise area, which is open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to noon
- An opportunity for continuation of exercise program upon completion of the 12-week course
In particular, you may benefit from cardiac rehabilitation if your medical history includes:
- Heart attack
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart failure
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Chest pain (angina)
- Certain congenital heart diseases
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Angioplasty and stents
- Heart transplant
- Heart valve replacement